Monday, October 21, 2013

Hot Grains

If you are tired of eating oatmeal for breakfast, give this recipe a try. I really enjoy the flavor of these grains. I add a few dried cherries to my hot grains. I found amaranth, millet and quinoa at Woodman's grocery store. Some stores may carry Bob's Red Mill brand.  I usually buy quinoa at Trader Joe's. Make sure you rinse the quinoa before using it or your hot grains may taste bitter.











1/3 cup amaranth
1/3 cup millet
1/3 cup quinoa, rinsed
3 1/4 cups water
1 tsp cinnamon

Toppings for hot grains:

flax seeds, ground
milk
maple syrup or brown sugar
dried fruit

Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer and add to a 4-quart crockpot along with the amaranth, millet, water and cinnamon; stir to combine. Cook on low for 7 hours. Stir in flax seeds, milk, maple syrup and dried fruit to taste.

Makes 4 servings

Kimberly

No comments:

Post a Comment