Monday, July 29, 2013

Raspberry Chicken Amandine

In Door County, Wisconsin there is a place called The White Gull Inn.  I had this chicken dish in their restaurant and was so excited to see the recipe was printed in their cookbook.  Needless to say...I had to add another cookbook to my collection!  Sometimes I change this recipe a little and use pecans instead of almonds.  So, I guess the proper name would then be called Raspberry Pecan Crusted Chicken.  I like to serve this with a wild rice blend and Sesame Green Beans.










Raspberry Sauce:

1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup honey
2 TBS cornstarch
1/8 cup cold water
Salt and pepper

Chicken:
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
2 cups finely crushed almonds (or pecans)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded flat
8 ounces Brie cheese
1/4 cup olive oil

Bring raspberries, water and honey to a boil in a small saucepan.  Cook over medium heat until raspberries begin to break up, about 3-4 minutes.  In a small bowl mix cornstarch with cold water until smooth.  Add to raspberries and continue to cook 1 minute longer, stirring constantly.  Strain through a fine sieve.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Set aside.

Beat eggs and milk in a small bowl.  Dip chicken breasts in egg mixture.

Place crushed almonds (or pecans) in a shallow pan.  Press each breast into crushed almonds (or pecans) to coat both sides.  Cut Brie into 4 pieces.  Slightly flatten the cheese with your fingers.  Set aside.

Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.  Saute both sides of breast until cooked through and golden brown.  Immediately, top each breast with a flattened slice of Brie cheese.  Let Brie melt onto the chicken.  You may place in a warm oven or toaster oven to melt.  However, I found that the cheese melts fine without doing so. 

The original recipe states to sandwich the Brie cheese between the chicken, which you can see I did in the picture.  However, I do not think it is necessary to do so as it makes it difficult to eat.  Next time I will just place the Brie on top of the chicken instead.

To serve, top with warm Raspberry Sauce.

Serves 4

Source: The White Gull Inn, More Favorite Recipes From Our Kitchen

Janice

1 comment:

  1. ohhhhhh Looks delicious! I have 'been there, done that' and just had to add another cookbook to my collection, too!

    ReplyDelete