Friday, August 18, 2023

Applesauce

I love the wonderful aroma of applesauce cooking on the stove.  It smells so good!  Nothing beats the real stuff!  It's good served warm or cold.











6 lbs cooking apples, peeled cored, and sliced or cut into chunks
1 cup apple juice or apple cider
juice of 1 lemon (about 2-3 TBS)
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp cinnamon, more or less to taste
1 TBS butter (my addition)
4-5 drops red food coloring...just enough to give it a little pink color (my addition)

Combine all ingredients in a large pot and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes.

Carefully, puree in a food processor or blender until smooth.  Don't fill the blender too full.  Split into two portions if needed.  You may also use an immersion blender. I left my applesauce a bit chunky so I didn't blend it too much.

Store in the fridge.  Serve by itself, over pork chops, over ice cream or pancakes. 

Makes about 12 cups

Source:  Ree Drummond - Pioneer Woman

Janice

No comments:

Post a Comment