Sunday, February 2, 2014

Honey Sesame Crock Pot Chicken

When I served this dish, I placed brown rice on the dinner plate, topped it with steamed broccoli then topped with the chicken and sauce mixture. I then sprinkled with sesame seeds and chopped green onions.  I served this with the Asian Salad and Asian Ginger Dressing that is also on this blog.  So good!


3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or boneless, skinless thighs)
salt and pepper
3/4 to 1 cup honey
1 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1 cup diced onion (I cut my onions into larger slices)
1/2 cup hoisin sauce (found in the Asian isle)
4 TBS sesame oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

3 TBS cornstarch, dissolved in 3/4 cup cold water

Garnish:
sesame seeds
3 green onions, chopped


Lightly season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.  Place the chicken in a crock pot. 

In a medium bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, onion, hoisin, oil, garlic and pepper flakes.  Pour this mixture over the chicken.  Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or until chicken is tender.

Remove the chicken from the crock pot, but reserve the sauce in the pot.  Dissolve 3 tablespoons of cornstarch in 3/4 cup of cold water and pour into crock pot.  Stir to combine with the sauce.  Replace the lid and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes or until sauce slightly thickens.

Meanwhile, shred the chicken into bite size pieces.  Add the chicken back to the crock pot and stir together with the sauce.

Serve the chicken over cooked rice (and cooked broccoli, if you wish).  Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions.

Freeze leftovers for a quick meal!

Serves 8-10

Source: modified from Six Sister's Stuff

Janice

No comments:

Post a Comment