Monday, January 21, 2013

Spaghetti Sauce

I tweaked the spaghetti sauce recipe that I have been making and I like this so much better.  I saw a tip on the internet to add balsamic vinegar to cut the acidity of the tomatoes.  I also used chicken broth instead of water.  This is definitely going to be my go-to spaghetti sauce recipe.  I made a quadruple batch and froze it in quart Ziploc bags. 










3/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 TBS olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1 cup chicken broth
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

In a large saucepan, cook onion in oil until tender.  Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; simmer for 40-50 minutes.

* Occasionally taste while this is simmering to see if you need to add more oregano and basil.

Yields approximately 4 1/2 cups of sauce

Janice

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! Next time the girls come home, I will make this. Kathleen was wanting spaghetti....

    ReplyDelete