Monday, September 30, 2013

Basil and Spinach Pesto

I had so much basil in my garden this summer that I was able to make several batches of this pesto. I froze my pesto so I can enjoy it all winter long. Pesto is great on pasta, chicken and even on pizza!










1/2 cup walnuts
1 1/2 cups basil
1 1/2 cups spinach, chopped
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Toast walnuts in a dry skillet until lightly browned; let cool. Pulse walnuts in a food processor until finely ground. Add basil, spinach, garlic, red pepper flakes and kosher salt to processor; pulse until finely chopped. Add Parmesan cheese to processor and pulse to combine. Slowly pour in extra-virgin olive oil, pulsing to incorporate.

Makes 1 cup (use 1/2 cup of pesto per pound of pasta)

Source:  Food Network Magazine - September 2013

Kimberly

1 comment:

  1. This pesto is so good! I made a triple batch last night. I froze them in 1/4 cup portions in muffin tins. I could just eat is like it is! Who needs pasta? Yum!

    ReplyDelete