Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Roasted Beets and Sautéed Beet Greens

I bought some beautiful beets at the farmer's market so I decided to have beets and beet greens for dinner tonight.  I read an article from the CDC (Center for Disease Control & Prevention) that states beet greens are high on the list of Powerhouse Vegetables.  Watercress was number one on the list, followed by Chinese Cabbage, Chard, Beet Greens and Spinach.  Beets and beet greens are very high in potassium, magnesium, fiber, phosphorus, iron, vitamins A, B & C, beta-carotene, beta-cyanine and folic acid. Wow! This was a very healthy and satisfying meal of beets and greens.











1 bunch beets, with greens (I used 4 beets)
olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 TBS onion, chopped (I used more)
salt and pepper to taste
1 TBS red wine vinegar
I added a slice of cooked bacon at the end....only because I had it in the fridge

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Wash the beets thoroughly, leaving the skins on, and remove the greens and stems.  Rinse greens and stems.  Place the beets in a small baking dish or roasting pan and toss with 2 TBS of olive oil.  If you wish to peel the beets, it is easier to do so once they have been roasted.

Cover and bake the beets for 45 to 60 minutes or until a knife can slide easily through the largest beet. 

I was a little pressed for time so instead of roasting my beets I peeled and cut them into small pieces, put them in a microwave safe dish and added a very little bit of water (a couple teaspoons).  I covered with Saran Wrap and cooked on High in the microwave until tender.

When the roasted beets are almost done, heat 2 TBS of olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat.  Add the garlic and onion, and cook for a minute.  Tear the beet greens into 2 to 3 inch pieces.  Cut the stems into 1 inch pieces.  Add the beets and stems to the skillet.  Cook and stir until the greens are wilted and tender.  Season with salt and pepper.  Sprinkle with red-wine vinegar.


Source:  www.kitchme.com

Janice

No comments:

Post a Comment