Thursday, September 6, 2012

Soft & Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

I usually use the oatmeal cookie recipe that is printed on the box of oatmeal.  However, this time I thought I would try a different recipe.  I thought they were really good and a little bit healthier for you...I think.



2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup + 2 TBS flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a large cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside.  I prefer to use parchment paper instead of spraying the pans.

Combine oats, flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.  Mix well.

In a large bowl, beat brown sugar and butter on low speed of mixer until mixture resembles wet sand.  Add applesauce, egg and vanilla and beat again until well blended.  Add oat mixture to sugar mixture.  Using a wooden spoon, stir until dry ingredients are moistened.  Stir in raisins.

Drop dough by spoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheet.  (Use abut 2 TBS dough per cookie and space 2 inches apart).  Flatten cookies to 1/4 inch thickness using a fork.  (this is a very important step because these cookies do not flatten out or spread during baking).  Dip the fork in water to prevent it from sticking to cookies.  

Bake for 12-14 minutes, until tops of cookies are dry to the touch.  Cookies may seem under baked but that's OK.  Do not over bake.  Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then carefully remove to cooling rack.

*Janice's cookie tip:  Whenever I bake cookies I roll out all my cookies into balls first and place them on wax paper on the counter or on a dinner plate.  That way I can clean up my baking mess and then relax while the cookies are baking rather than rolling cookies and constantly washing my hands between batches.

I also love parchment paper.  The cookies never stick or burn.  Easy cleanup, too!

Makes 20 cookies

Source:  The Looneyspoons Collection - Janet & Greta Podleski

Janice 

No comments:

Post a Comment