Sunday, January 1, 2012

Cream of Chicken Soup with Gnocchi Dumplings (made in a pressure cooker)

Homemade chicken soup in less than 20 minutes, start to finish.  This is a quick and delicious meal.










3 TBS butter
1 lb chicken breasts, cubed
3 TBS flour
2 stalks celery, diced small
2 carrots, diced small
4 tsp chicken base mixed with 4 cups water (or 4 cups chicken broth)
16 oz dry gnocchi dumplings
1 sprig fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 tsp onion powder
1 TBS parsley flakes
3/4 cup heavy cream (or half and half)
salt and pepper to taste

Heat butter in pressure cooker on high or "brown" until melted.

Coat chicken cubes with the flour on all sides.  Add chicken to pressure cooker with celery and carrots.  Saute for 2-3 minutes until chicken is lightly browned.

Cover with the remaining ingredients, except for the heavy cream.

Securely lock on the pressure cooker's lid, set the cooker to high and cook for 8 minutes.

Perform a quick release to release all the pressure.  Safely remove lid and slowly stir in the heavy cream.  Salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.

**For a firmer, more pasta-like gnocchi, add them with the heavy cream after the pressure cooking process.  Switch the cooker to high with the lid off and boil for 3-4 minutes until the gnocchi begin to float.

Makes 6 servings

Source:  Slow Food Fast  - Bob Warden

Kimberly

 

6 comments:

  1. We would love this recipe. Sad to say, I don't have a pressure cooker. hmmmmm maybe it is something I NEED?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth - In my opinion, everyone NEEDS a pressure cooker. I even convinced Todd & Mark to get one. I'm working on Janice. I use mine so much, I bought a second one. With as much as you cook, I'm sure you would get plenty of use out of a pressure cooker. An electric pressure cooker is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make it 1 weekly. thank you it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made it was great

    ReplyDelete